Who we are
Castle Craig is an addiction hospital for the treatment of addiction, providing high-quality medical and therapeutic care for those suffering from alcoholism, drug and behavioural addictions, including gambling. Castle Craig also provides dual diagnosis treatment for patients presenting with both addiction and mental health disorders.
Castle Craig is located in the stunning countryside of the Scottish borders just 40 minutes outside Edinburgh, one hour from Glasgow and two hours from Newcastle. Founded in 1988, our 50 acres of parkland and woods are a relaxed and tranquil environment conducive to healing and recovery.
Castle Craig is accredited by HIS (Health Improvement Scotland) and received a grade of ‘Exceptional’ on the latest inspection. We have privately funded patients, as well as those utilising health insurance and NHS funded placements.
The Castle Craig estate contains one detox unit (10 beds), 45 beds ranging from private to shared in the main clinic, and a 45 bed unit for Dutch patients in the gardens.
What we treat
Castle Craig provides treatment for alcoholism, all drug addiction, behavioural addictions (such as gambling, gaming) and those suffering from dual-diagnosis to a wide variety of national and international patients over the age of 18.
Medical and therapeutic care
Our Medical Director is Professor Jonathan Chick, MA (Cantab), MPhil, MBChB, DSc, FRCPsych, FRCPE; and our Associate medical director is Dr Maria Kelly, MBChB, DipPsych, MRCPsych. All admissions are reviewed by a consultant psychiatrist prior to admission and assessment is undertaken by a consultant psychiatrist if required.
- Consultant psychiatrist directed and managed care
- Rapid screening assessments and admission
- Full medical, nursing, and therapeutic diagnostic assessments upon admission
- Medically managed detoxification (when required)
- Assessment for dual diagnosis and complex substance misuse disorders
- 24/7 medical cover and on-site nursing
- Intensive treatment and supervision
- Individualised care plans for addiction and dual diagnosis
- Individual, group and family therapy
- Core 12-Step treatment programme
- Range of therapies
- Psycho-educational programme of lectures and workshops
- Intensive introduction to self-help groups
- Complementary therapies (equine, massage, yoga, mindfulness)
- Exercise and fitness programme (fully equipped gym and on site trainer)
- Reintegration and discharge planning
- Aftercare groups and teletherapy
If you are a member of the press and require more information about Castle Craig Hospital, please contact our marketing and communications team at email@example.com