Established in 1988 by Peter and Dr. Margaret Ann McCann, Castle Craig is a world-renowned residential rehabilitation hospital which treats people suffering from alcohol and drug addictions, many of whom have other complex illnesses.
Thousands of people from all over the UK and the world have turned to Castle Craig for quality treatment, extensive services & therapies. and dedicated family support.
Facts about Castle Craig
- Castle Craig Hospital is one of Europe’s leading rehabilitation clinics.
- Castle Craig treats alcohol and drug addiction and related psychiatric conditions such as depression, anxiety, trauma and stress.
- Castle Craig considers addiction to be a disease and not a moral disorder or a disorder of learned behaviour.
- Castle Craig has been treating privately insured and NHS funded patients since 1988. To date, about 10,000 patients have received treatment at Castle Craig.
- Castle Craig employs 7 doctors, 14 nurses and 28 therapists. (As of Feb 2016)
- Castle Craig has 52 beds in its intensive “detox” unit where patients can stay for up to six weeks.
- A further 72 beds are located in a separate extended care unit, where patients can enter the second phase of treatment.
About our addiction treatment
As a length of treatment, Castle Craig promotes the 90 days ‘Gold Standard’, which has been shown to be the threshold for significant improvement.*
Castle Craig’s view of “recovery” is abstinence from alcohol and mood-altering drugs – not substitution of one drug for another.
Experience shows that abstinence-based treatment really works – the 12 step philosophy used by AA and NA has helped millions of people all over the world to recover.
Scotland. Castle Craig is located in the stunning countryside of the Scottish Borders, just 40 minutes’ drive from Edinburgh, one hour from Glasgow and two hours from Newcastle upon Tyne. Our 50 acres of parkland and woods is a relaxed and tranquil environment conducive to healing and recovery.
Netherlands. In 2000, Castle Craig opened a centre in The Hague, Netherlands, to assist patients from the Netherlands. Since 2008, Castle Craig Nederlands, directed by Frances Beek, has been recognised as an independent outpatient mental health care facility. We have a network of offices around the country and our own team including a Medical Director, consultant psychiatrists and therapists.
Ireland. In 2015, the directors of Castle Craig opened Smarmore Castle Private Clinic in County Louth, Ireland. Smarmore Castle is a 22 bed rehab clinic and the treatment programme is based on the Castle Craig Model of addiction treatment. The origins of the castle date back to the 14th century.
If you are a media company and require more information about Castle Craig Hospital, please contact the office of the Development Director, Dominic McCann on +44 (0)1721 722 763. or [email protected]