Castle Craig is a category B listed building, built over two hundred years ago by the Earl of Hyndford whose family name was Carmichael.
Castle Craig has retained many of its original features including magnificent fireplaces, marble pillars, exquisitely carved panelling and furniture and many other features.
The Castle Craig Estate
The estate itself goes back into the mists of time, beginning, from what we know, as a temporary Roman Camp with a Roman Fort.
It was first mentioned in 1170 when it was confirmed to Bishop Engelram of Glasgow by Pope Alexander III.
By the 1500s Castlecraig estate was under the ownership of the family Geddes of Rachan. The small graveyard on the estate contains the remains of an ancient parish and graves of local parishoners, dating from the 1600s.
In the 1760s Castlecraig estate was purchased from Geddes of Rachan by Sir John Carmichael (later Earl of Hyndford) who built the main mansion house on the Castle Craig estate in 1798. Historic Scotland describe it as “A restrained classical mansion with centre 3 storey block and pedimented slight projection, flanking 1 storey wings terminated in pedimented pavilions.”
In 1905 Castlecraig estate was purchased by James Mann, a Glasgow industralist, who remodelled the house with the help of the architect Sir John J. Burnett. In 1940 Castlecraig estate was put up for sale by the daughter of James Mann and was purchased by Major E.G. Thomson. During World War II Castle Craig was converted into an auxiliary hospital for war wounded.
After the War, in 1946, the main house and whole estate were gifted by Major Thomson to Peeblesshire County Council. The house was converted into a residential school for children with respiratory problems such as asthma.