Bupa has a comprehensive mental health insurance coverage policy.
They cover a variety of illnesses including addiction to alcohol and drugs and can fund treatment at a residential rehab clinic depending on the individual’s coverage policy.
Castle Craig is a Bupa-accredited provider of residential addiction treatment. We have received their Covid-19 Safety badge that demonstrates our dedication to Covid-19 safety standards in relation to testing, infection control and use of PPE. View our Bupa page here.
Insurance through Bupa for residential rehab treatment programmes usually covers detoxification, medical and psychiatric assessments, therapy, room and board costs, fitness and continuing care.
There are many drug and alcohol rehab programmes available throughout the UK for people who need treatment for alcohol and drug addiction problems as well as other mental health problems such as depression, trauma and anxiety. Rehab programmes vary from residential, outpatient, support groups, therapeutic and online.
How do I access alcohol and drug rehab through Bupa?
If you have Bupa insurance to cover rehab from alcohol and drug addiction then you will have a variety of options to choose from. Using your Bupa insurance cover to fund rehab to leave alcohol and drugs behind and turn your life around is an extremely worthwhile investment.
Steps to access rehab treatment via Bupa
At Castle Craig we know how important it is not to delay once you have decided you need help for your addiction – that’s why our admissions process is very quick and easy.
Using Bupa private medical insurance to pay for your treatment can usually be arranged within 48 hours.
Four actions for admission to Castle Craig with Bupa Private Medical Insurance
- Call Castle Craig rehab clinic with any questions about the treatment programme, entry criteria and admissions process,
- Call BUPA to find out if your medical insurance package covers a period at residential rehab treatment,
- Request a referral to your chosen private rehab clinic from your GP and send us your BUPA insurance number
- Your GP will write a referral letter to Castle Craig and will email you a copy to send to BUPA,
- The admissions team at Castle Craig will liaise with BUPA and arrange for admission.
The length and type of cover will depend on your individual policy and the terms of that policy.
What happens next?
Once we receive confirmation from Bupa that your policy is able to cover residential rehab treatment, we can arrange a pre-admission assessment before we receive the doctor’s letter, to ensure the fastest service possible.
Our Consultant Psychiatrist may want to discuss your admission with your GP. Getting more information about your medical history helps us to ensure that our treatment programme is right for you and will suit your needs.
Before you arrive for treatment we will send you an admission information pack with details of what to expect when you arrive here and we will be happy to answer any further questions you might have over the phone or by email.
The level of cover provided by medical insurers varies depending on the insurer and the package you have. Sometime insurers might initially only pre-authorise some of the recommended treatment period e.g. 1 week of 4 weeks treatment. If this is the case we will ask you to pay privately for the remaining weeks of your treatment programme prior to starting your treatment with us. Once your insurer authorises additional weeks to your treatment programme, our Finance Department will refund you the privately paid costs for each week approved by the insurance company. Our Admissions and Finance teams are on hand to advise patients with insurance authorisation applications.
Castle Craig and Bupa
If you have private healthcare insurance through BUPA which you pay privately or which your company pays for you, you may be covered for all or part of your treatment at a residential alcohol or drug rehab clinic. Castle Craig received accreditation from Bupa many years ago and is available as a choice of residential rehab provider.
Our hospital listing can be found here on the Bupa website:
Bupa’s Online Mental Health Hub
Bupa has an online mental health hub with information about mental health and treatments.
Bupa members will be assessed by our Bupa-recognised psychiatrist, the assessment will be submitted to Bupa and a decision will be made as to whether you qualify.
Did you know?
Bupa offers something called Mental Health Direct Access – call your Bupa member services helpline and they can arrange a telephone consultation with one of their mental health practitioners. They’ll listen to your concerns and discuss options to help you.
Why do insurance companies typically cover 28 days of rehab treatment?
Most insurance companies cover 28 days of inpatient care for a medical condition, a trend that originated in the US military and continues to this day. 28 days is not a scientifically proven number of days in which you will cure your addiction. Treatment for addiction can take much longer than this. The ‘gold standard’ length of duration is often cited as 90 days and this is proven with research. However, for many people, it is unpalatable to stay this long in treatment, even if it reduces their chance of relapse. The US National Institute on Drug Abuse states that “Generally, for residential or outpatient treatment, participation for less than 90 days is of limited effectiveness, and treatment lasting significantly longer is recommended for maintaining positive outcomes.”
The best length of treatment
You can come to Castle Craig for four weeks with Bupa health insurance, however, we do know that when you spend longer in rehab addressing your problems you are less likely to relapse. We recommend 5-6 weeks treatment as an optimal minimum length of stay, 90 days is the gold standard with the highest outcomes. Why is this? This is because the longer you spend in treatment, focussing on your addition and addressing the underlying issues behind the addiction, and immersing yourself in the 12 steps, the more likely you are to be able to avoid triggers in the outside world when you return home, the more time you have to resolve damaged relationships with family members, the longer you have to improve your outcomes.
A study by the University of Southern California published in 2017 in the Open Journal of Psychiatry found that longer addiction treatment highly improves patients’ chances of long-term recovery, with longer programmes having success rates of 84%.
Will my insurance cover rehab treatment?
Some policies cover alcohol and drug rehab treatment and some don’t. Many will only cover 28 days of treatment and if you want to stay longer you will need to pay through private funds. Some will cover continuing care therapy after you leave.
Different Bupa packages
Bupa have a range of packages for
- Private Individuals
Learn more about Bupa insurance here.
Other ways to pay for private rehab treatment:
- Private funding: Often the quickest way to be admitted to rehab is paying privately. To join as a private patient, you can call the Castle Craig admissions department, and our team will be able to discuss the treatment programme. Apply for admissions here.
- NHS funding: In our experience, we have seen how difficult it can sometimes be to get NHS funding for residential addiction treatment. However, we have seen in many instances with the right persistence and patience that NHS funding is possible. It begins with a trip to your local drug and alcohol addiction team and you will need to set up an appointment with a social worker who will guide you through the process. It can take six months to be able to access residential treatment, so it is a long process.
Free self-help groups: Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous are fantastic free resources for those who don’t need medical detox and want to try to stay free of alcohol and drugs with the help of the 12 Steps and fellowship groups. AA and NA are extremely supportive groups where newcomers are welcomed and you will meet like-minded people.
Why choose Castle Craig?
When it comes to choosing a rehab clinic, you need to ensure that you pick the right rehab clinic that offers a range of medical and therapeutic techniques in the right setting.
- Established in 1988, we have over three decades of treatment in addictions,
- Castle Craig has treated over 10,000 people,
- We have high patient satisfaction rates,
- We have 50 acres of private land – Their location, which is in the middle of the countryside with beautiful views mean that patients get to immerse themselves in their recovery, being away from old habits, bad influences and temptations,
- We offer fitness, complementary therapies, equine therapy,
- Strong continuing care programme,
- We are family-run, Peter and Dr Margaret McCann who founded Castle Craig still run it to this day, assisted by two of their children and an exceptionally qualified and experienced therapy team,
- Compassion is at the heart of what we do, everyone who walks through our doors is a unique individual and is treated with respect and dignity.