Call Us Now: 0808 271 7500

Not Ready for Rehab?

A Drug Summit Drums Up Support for Scotland

Many people suffering from addiction to alcohol and drugs find it hard to admit that they need help

But we know that ‘denial’ is a symptom of addiction. Despite all of the problems and anxiety that active addiction causes, the sufferer is usually the last person to see that their drinking or drug abuse is the cause of these problems.

I am here for Alcohol | Drugs | Other addiction

For some people the right time won’t come until they have reached ‘rock bottom’ and their lives are falling apart due to their addiction.

This page offers some alternative suggestions that can help someone who does not feel ready to receive rehabilitation treatment for their drug, alcohol or gambling addiction.


An intervention is not a single event, but a structured and controlled process carried out by concerned family members, friends or co-workers and an intervention professional. Although Castle Craig does not provide these services directly, we can provide the contact information for a professional who can help to provide an intervention. An agreement to proceed with an intervention is made between family members and an interventionist.

After preparation, assessment and guidance for the family members and any significant others affected by the individual’s behaviour, the intervention professional will convene an “intervention meeting” which is where those people meet with the addicted person to confront and discuss the situation and their behaviour.

The ultimate aim of this meeting is to get the person suffering from alcohol and drug addiction to seek help and enter treatment straightaway. An intervention is a delicate tool and should only be carried out by a trained psychotherapist, nurse or doctor with additional interventionist training.

Family doctor/GP

One starting point for anyone looking for help with an addiction problem will be their general practitioner (GP).  The GP may be able to explain the importance of treatment.

Outpatient treatment and other non-residential options

The GP should be able to help the individual to access an NHS outpatient or other private day programmes within the community.

Self-help groups

Another option is to begin attending 12 step fellowship groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or Narcotics Anonymous (NA) or Gamblers Anonymous (GA). Attending one of these groups before entering rehab is recommended in order for the individual to familiarise themselves with the process and workings of group therapy and the language used in AA/NA.


The GP may also be able to refer onwards to a psychiatrist, counsellor or therapist as an alternative to residential treatment. A trained, accredited therapist or counsellor can help someone with alcohol, drug or gambling addiction to understand their emotional needs and explore their feelings and ways of thinking. They will help the sufferer to address any underlying problems contributing to their addiction. If counselling does not help to stop the drinking and using patterns then the therapist may refer their patient on to residential rehab.