Castle Craig’s 30th Anniversary – International Essay Writing Competition
The 2018 competition is now closed – No further entries will be accepted for the 2018 competition.
he 2018 competition is now closed – No further entries will be accepted for the 2018 competition.
Thank you for all your submissions – we have had the pleasure of accepting over 100 essay entries to The Castle Craig International Essay Writing Competition.
All Essays submitted are currently undergoing review and a winner will be announced by the 30th of April 2019.
Bookmark this page for new updates and for the latest information regarding the 2019 Castle Craig International Essay Writing Competition.
To mark its 30th anniversary, Castle Craig Hospital in Scotland is launching an annual international essay writing competition for students. The competition is intended for all students of medicine, psychology, nursing, psychotherapy and social work.
Focusing on Addiction
Entrants can choose from 3 different essay questions on an aspect of addiction, and essays should be not more than 3000 words. Essays should be academic papers including references, and may rely on personal experiences, objective opinions or a general outlook.
The three essay questions are:
- Is addiction to a drug a brain disease?
- What is the role of psychotherapy in realising and sustaining recovery from addiction?
- ‘Society holds the solution to addiction because social problems are the main cause.’ Discuss.
The award for 1st prize is £1,000, and there will be up to 5 runner-up prizes of £250. Additional runners-up with notable submissions will receive a written commendation.
Submissions will be accepted until Midnight on the 30th of December 2018.
How to enter?
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE ENTRY FORM – or by clicking/tapping on the image below.
1. The essay should be 3000 words or less (Not including Title page, Bibliography or References). Essays of more than 3000 words will be disqualified. The judges are looking for a well written, original and interesting essay, including references.
2. The essay topic must be rely on one of the three essay titles listed on this page.
3. The entry must be word processed and well presented.
4. Please include a separate title page showing the essay title, your name, your university or college and the full word count.
All pages of the essay must include the essay title as a header, and the page number as a footer (page numbering to begin on the first page of the essay – not the title page).
Your name, academic institution or other identifiers should not appear on any page other than the title page, otherwise the essay will be returned to you for modification.
5.All entries must be accompanied by a signed entry form sent by post, or electronic form. Essays received without an assigned entry form will be disqualified. Submissions by fax will not be accepted. E-signature is acceptable, as is a scanned document of the entry form.
6. Essays may be submitted as a hard copy by post, or as a Microsoft Word document email attachment sent to [email protected] – Please specify on the entry form by ticking the correct box.
7. Both the entry form and the essay must reach Castle Craig Hospital by 30th December 2018 – late entries cannot be accepted. No allowance will be made for postage or email failure etc. We will notify you when we receive your entry.
8. The competition is open to all students studying Medicine, Psychology, Nursing, Psychotherapy, Social Work or a related discipline. Only single author entries can be accepted.
9. Any suspicion of plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification.
10. The judges’ decision is final for all aspects of the competition.
11. Submissions must be in English. Entrants should mention if English is not their native language. Allowances will be made for those submissions.
12. The Winners will be announced by the 30th of April 2019 with the winning essay being published online on the 1st of May 2019.
13. I hereby assign to Castle Craig Hospital the copyright in the essay submitted (the “Essay”), excluding the moral rights to the Essay, absolutely throughout the world, in all languages, for the full period of copyright. For the avoidance of doubt, this assignment includes the rights to supply the article in electronic and online form.
14. Referencing: Harvard style system. In the text, references for papers by more than two authors are given as the first author followed by et al. and the year of publication. When more than one reference is mentioned at a time in the text, the references should be listed chronologically. In the list of references, the references should be in alphabetical order and entries should be as follows: (1) Authors’ names; (2) year of publication; (3) title of paper: (4) abbreviated journal name; (5) volume number; (6) first and last page numbers. When there are more than seven authors, the first three authors are given, followed by et al.
Essay Competition Poster for your Bulletin Boards (Print & Share)
Castle Craig Hospital International Essay Writing Competition 2020 Bulletin
[PDF Coming Soon]