Since opening our doors in 1988, Castle Craig has treated over 10,000 patients from all over the world with an overall 98% satisfaction rate. We take pride in and attribute this to our most valuable resource – our compassionate and dedicated staff, some of whom are former patients of Castle Craig.
Beautiful Scenery, Internationally Recognised Staff
At Castle Craig, we believe that a residential rehab should not feel like a sterile medical facility – it should be a comfortable, restful environment with a homely feel and a thriving therapeutic community, based upon a bedrock of excellent medical care.
Located in the hills and woodlands of the Scottish Borders region, Castle Craig’s 50 acres of countryside provide an idyllic location to escape addiction. The property is easily accessible, only a forty-minute drive from Edinburgh and about an hour from Glasgow. Transportation from nearby airports can be arranged if necessary.
Each patient at Castle Craig is given personal care by our team of medical and addiction experts. A 24-hour nursing team, resident doctor, and many professional psychotherapists and psychiatrists will be available at all times during your stay to help guide you through your recovery journey.
Castle Craig also hires consultants on a regular basis to improve its level of care. With specialist staff, including fitness trainers, the hospital takes pride in providing a supportive, family-like environment for all its patients.
The Patient Experience
At Castle Craig, the patients are the priority. Here are some quick facts about admissions and programmes.
- Admission assessment. After admission, patients will be carefully assessed by our clinical and therapeutic team in order to determine the severity of their addiction and what their treatment plan will look like.
- Cross-addiction and dual diagnosis. After the initial assessment, patients may find that they have other underlying issues, such as cross-addictions. We take this very seriously and always treat the psychological aspect as well as the substance dependency to ensure a full recovery. An example of cross-addiction would be when an alcohol or drug addiction is linked to a mental health issue, such as anxiety, depression, or PTSPD.
- Detox. Upon arrival, patients will begin a supervised detoxification period. How the detox is organised and how long it will last is unique to each patient.
- Therapy and Activities. During and after detox, patients will be undergoing individual and group therapy and participating in education sessions and lectures to help them better understand their addiction. They will have the opportunity to participate in various activities and modern therapeutic techniques, such as art therapy, drumming, yoga and many outdoor activities. There is also an on-site gym to allow guests to stay active during their stay.
- Programme length. The standard recommended length of stay at Castle Craig is six weeks and can be lengthened if necessary with our extended treatment programme. Extended treatment patients will have opportunities to participate in off-site activities, such as visits to local support group sessions (such as AA) or field trips to cultural sites. Other leisure activities, such as museum visits, social nights, and shopping trips, are also arranged as entertainment.
Addiction is a chronic illness, and the recovery process doesn’t end when you come out of an intensive residential rehab programme. To help prevent relapse, Castle Craig provides support to our patients after they leave through our continuing care programme. Continuing care includes:
- Free aftercare group support
- Access to community resources
- Opportunities to return to Castle Craig for additional treatment
Castle Craig has two different accommodation units, one for intensive care and one for extended care.
In Extended Treatment, patients are housed in single-sex cottages, with single or twin rooms, most of which are en-suite. Amenities such as kitchens, lounge and dining areas, and laundry are shared within the community. In intensive care, laundry is taken care of by the staff, while in extended care, patients have access to self-serve facilities.
Castle Craig regularly maintains and updates all of its accommodation and treatment facilities to maintain a high standard of living. View more images of our accomodations here.
Innovative Treatment Techniques
Castle Craig maintains its status as a leader in addiction treatment and was the first addiction rehabilitation centre to bring the 12-step treatment to Scotland. Our staff participates in continuous learning and takes the time to explore, learn and integrate new treatment techniques such as:
Equine-assisted psychotherapy Castle Craig is proud to offer this alternative therapy. Patients have said that the equine-based therapy was one of the most memorable and exciting part of their stay.
HBOT (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy)Castle Craig was the first UK rehab hospital to offer HBOT as a complementary treatment option. HBOT can aid in the detoxification process by enhancing the body’s natural healing abilities. During a period of one hour, patients sit in a pressurised chamber and breathe an oxygen-rich air mixture through a mask. The process stimulates the production and regeneration of body cells, and releases built-up toxins in the brain. (currently unavailable)
For updates contact [email protected]