Castle Craig Hospital has a large hyperbaric chamber, located in the grounds of the hospital, which we have used for treating patients with a variety of conditions.
The Benefits of HBOT
At Castle Craig rehab clinic in Scotland we offer hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) to our patients in detox and during our recovery programme. HBOT involves breathing 100% oxygen in a spacious, pressurised oxygen chamber. Breathing oxygen under pressure has many benefits. It can
- Halve the symptoms of opiate withdrawal;
- Help repair damaged bodies – the treatment increases tissue regeneration and decreases swelling and inflammation by increasing oxygenated blood-flow to damaged tissue and generating new blood vessels;
- Help to clear toxins, which is important during drug and alcohol detoxification;
- Help improve decision-making and controlling emotions by improving quality and quantity of sleep;
- Increase stem cell production by 800%, these cells regenerate damaged tissues in the pancreas, liver and brain and other areas affected by alcohol and drug abuse.
Our HBOT staff are fully trained to supervise conditions in the chamber; and the type of chamber we use is so safe that it was deregulated by an Act of Parliament in 2008.
A 2016 HBOT research study, funded by the US Government National Institute of Health, and published in the journal Brain Research, found that HBOT can halve the symptoms of opiate withdrawal. The lead researcher hailed the discovery as of “profound importance” at a time when heroin use has doubled among young Americans in the last decade.
Patients with Liver Damage
We hope that HBOT will be of interest to liver damaged patients and their doctors where standard treatment options are restricted. Download the Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment Trust Factsheet.
The Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment Trust, a non-profit organisation, provides hyperbaric oxygen therapy on-site at Castle Craig. Visit the trust’s website for more detailed information and advice on HBOT.
Alternatively, contact us for more information.
Please Note: We are currently unable to offer this large chamber as part of our integrated treatment package. The Hyperbaric Oxygen Tank (HBOT) is currently unavailable due to essential maintenance work being carried out and will be back in service soon. We regret any inconvenience caused. Please contact us for more information regarding HBOT.