Castle Craig is a world-renowned residential rehabilitation clinic that treats alcoholism, addiction to illicit drugs and prescription drugs and other behavioural addictions. Our highly sought out programme also incorporates the treatment of associated mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder, sex addiction, also known as ‘dual diagnosis.’
“Addiction” in general terms refers to a state in which an individual experiences decreased control with regards to their desire for a certain stimulus, and/or increased feeling of routine desire for that stimulus.
And while alcohol and drugs are often the first things that come to mind when one hears the word “addiction,” for many, a behaviour, not a chemical substance, is the source of addiction. People with a behavioural addiction get a rush from engaging in an action which can become compulsive and unhealthy obsessions, despite damaging consequences.
Behavioural addictions treated at Castle Craig include:
- Sex or love addiction
- Eating disorders, such as anorexia, bulimia, or binge eating
- Gaming addiction
- Gambling addiction
- Porn addiction
- Compulsive hoarding
Personalised Behavioural Addiction Treatment Programmes at Castle Craig
At Castle Craig, we do not believe in a “one size fits all” approach to treatment. We treat each patient who comes here as a unique individual with specific needs. Our expert staff of addiction specialists will work with you to create a personalised treatment programme to help you you’re your behavioural addiction in a warm, supportive environment.
Some benefits of personalised addiction treatment include:
- Targeted care. Therapies that target the specific causes of the addiction can help prevent relapse in the future
- Lasting recovery. Intensive treatment produces results that last
- Life skills. Patients learn to cope more effectively and positively with difficult situations in the real world
- Quality care. Our full-time Consultant Psychiatrist, doctors and nurses who provide round-the-clock care ensure patients’ bodies return to peak condition
Making the decision to undergo residential addiction treatment at Castle Craig is the beginning of a life-long journey from admission and detox, to relapse prevention and discharge. Our patients leave us in excellent health and carrying a set of therapeutic skills and tools that last a lifetime, including:
- Impulse control
- Therapeutic tools to combat negative feelings
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) problem solving skills
- Relapse prevention techniques
- Holistic therapy aids for mind, body and spirit
- New, healthy dietary and fitness habits
- 12 Step fellowship
- New sober friends
- Strong support networks that last a lifetime
The 12 Steps
Although 12 Step treatment is not the only therapy provided at Castle Craig, it is still central to our abstinence based model. Patients are introduced to the Twelve Steps at an early stage through group therapy & reading materials, and patients also attend Alcoholics Anonymous/Narcotics Anonymous meetings in Edinburgh or nearby towns. Patients complete the first 5 steps of the Twelve Steps as inpatients according to our core treatment programme.
In addition to the 12 steps, we provide medical treatment, psychiatric care and specialised therapies such as: