Some symptoms of depression include:
- Insomnia or hypersomnia
- Unintended weight loss or gain
- Decreased pleasure/interest in usually enjoyed activities
- Difficulties with focus and concentration
- Feelings of worthlessness, guilt, and/or hopelessness/helplessness
- Recurrent thoughts of death
- Fatigue, low motivation
Symptoms of severe depression include all of the above as well as:
- Morbid non-suicidal thinking (i.e., “I wish I were never born,” “I wish I weren’t here”)
- Suicidal thinking
- Homicidal thinking
- Psychosis (hallucinations, paranoia, and delusions)
Clinical depression may be a part of or related to another condition such as substance abuse, substance withdrawal, other health issues such as chronic pain, and/or other mental health conditions.
If you or your loved one can identify these symptoms of depression, seek pofessional medical help. At Castle Craig we treat patients with depression and addiction problems. Read more about the treatment here.