Because we believe that drug addiction is a complex, chronic brain disease which re-wires the brain, gradually resulting in mental and physical deterioration, Castle Craig patients must undergo an abstinence-based programme in order to achieve long-lasting recovery. Our personalised residential drug addiction treatment programme provides the help that patients need to achieve life long recovery.
Drug Addictions We Treat Include:
- Stimulants Stimulants act on the central nervous system and are associated with feelings of extreme well-being, increased mental and motor activity. Examples include cocaine, crack cocaine, amphetamines (speed) and ecstasy (which is also a hallucinogen).
- Depressants Depressants are chemicals that slow down the central nervous system and suppress brain activity causing relief from anxiety. The most common depressants are alcohol and cannabis. Others include barbiturates and benzodiazepines (e.g. valium, xanax, temazepam).
- Opiates & Opioids Opiate and opioid drugs provide pain relief, euphoria, sedation and in increasing doses induce coma. Examples include heroin, morphine, opium, methadone, dipipanone and pethidine. Click to read about heroin and opiate detox
- Hallucinogens Hallucinogens cause changes in a person’s perception of reality. These include cannabis, LSD, ecstasy and psilocybin (magic mushrooms)
Most psychoactive drugs fall into the categories of stimulants, depressants, opiates and hallucinogens. All these types of drugs are addictive, induce dependence and have different effects on the human brain and body.
Personalised Treatment Model and Detox for Drug Addiction
In addition to the 12 Steps, Castle Craig utilizes cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and other evidence based therapies. This is one of the most successful and recognised addiction treatment approaches throughout in the world.
Detox treats withdrawal symptoms caused by abrupt or gradual cessation of the abused substances and is the first step on the road to recovery . Our world-class medical team supervises our drug rehab detoxification programme and provides 24/7 care, support, and encouragement to make detox as safe and comfortable as possible
As each patient comes to us with unique life experiences and circumstances surrounding their addiction, the personal treatment needs of each individual are taken into account when we develop the treatment plan. Because our treatment is residential and located on one site, patients can join in the daily routine of individual counselling and group therapy as soon as their physical condition permits.
In addition to detox, our programme includes:
- Medical assessments
- 12 Step facilitation
- Individual therapy with a personal, focal therapist who works with patients throughout their stay, conducts one-on-one therapy sessions and shapes their aftercare plan alongside the Head Nurse and Consultant Psychiatrist.
- Group therapy
- Cognitive behavioural therapy
- Family therapy
- Complementary therapies that have been proven effective for patients with substance misuse disorders.
For Suspicious Loved Ones: Questions to Ask Yourself
- Has their behaviour or personality changed recently? Are they withdrawn, irritable, anxious, apathetic?
- Have their eating habits changed?
- Do they seem to be neglecting their hygiene and appearance?
- Have they lost interest in activities which they used to enjoy?
- Do they socialise with a different set of friends?
- Are they running into financial difficulties?
- Are they getting into trouble with the law?