In Extended Treatment we continue the core addiction treatment programme while addressing complex, unresolved issues. There is a strong emphasis on relapse prevention and a focus on social skills training, assertiveness training, and therapy for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other dual-diagnosis problems.
Private therapy sessions in the extended treatment unit may have a different focus than therapy sessions experienced during primary care.
Therapies that patients might experience in extended treatment include:
- Relapse Prevention – giving patients skills to remain abstinent and develop self-esteem;
- Reality Therapy – a problem-solving method that helps people take control of their lives and develop psychological strength to manage PTSD, anger and build self-esteem;
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy;
- Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy – resolves negative emotional and behavioural problems;
- Family Therapy is continued and family are involved in the treatment plan;
- Assertiveness Training;
- Continuing Treatment Planning.