Patients in Extended Treatment attend two group therapy sessions a day and a range of educational lectures focusing on addiction and healthy living.
Group therapy takes on a different focus to the first stage of treatment promoting:
- Deeper insight into specific, individual problems that can block full recovery;
- Identifying destructive behaviours & attitudes that can trigger relapse;
- Developing and practising life skills.
There are more specialised groups available to patients in Extended Treatment which include:
- Grief group
- Gambling group
- Trauma group
- Eating disorder therapy
- Women’s group
- Relapse prevention group
- Life skills group
- DBT group for personality disorders
- Adult children of alcoholics group
- Family and relationship therapy
- 12 Steps
- Smoking cessation
- Mindfulness meditation
- Morning meditation
- Drumming therapy
- Equine therapy
- Art therapy
- Horticultural therapy.
Audrey Grant, Therapist, describes the benefits of this specialised therapy, an activity that helps women in treatment to “open up” and forgive themselves.