Castle Craig is a Category B listed building, built in 1798 by the Earl of Hyndford, whose family name was Carmichael. The building has retained many of its original features including magnificent fireplaces, marble pillars, exquisitely carved panelling and furniture and many other features.
The Castlecraig estate itself goes back into the mists of time, beginning, from what we know, as a temporary Roman Camp with a Roman Fort.
The Castle Craig Estate
It was first mentioned in 1170 when it was confirmed to Bishop Engelram of Glasgow by Pope Alexander III.
By the 1500s Castlecraig estate was under the ownership of the family Geddes of Rachan. The small graveyard on the estate contains the remains of an ancient parish and graves of local parishioners, dating from the 1600s.
In the 1760s Castlecraig estate was purchased from Geddes of Rachan by Sir John Carmichael (later Earl of Hyndford) who built the main mansion house on the Castle Craig estate in 1798. Historic Scotland describes it as “A restrained classical mansion with centre 3 storey block and pedimented slight projection, flanking 1 storey wings terminated in pedimented pavilions.”
In 1905 Castlecraig estate was purchased by James Mann, a Glasgow industrialist, who remodelled the house with the help of the architect Sir John J. Burnett. In 1940 Castlecraig estate was put up for sale by the daughter of James Mann and was purchased by Major E.G. Thomson. During World War II Castle Craig was converted into an auxiliary hospital for war wounded.
After the War, in 1946, the main house and whole estate were gifted by Major Thomson to Peeblesshire County Council. The house was converted into a residential school for children with respiratory problems such as asthma.
When Peter and Margaret McCann took over care of the estate, the first task on hand was to restore the decor in keeping with the period whilst converting the building into a 55 bed capacity treatment centre. The building has retained many of its original features including magnificent fireplaces, marble pillars, exquisitely carved panelling and furniture and many other features.
Over recent years, other parts of the estate’s grounds and buildings have been developed to make the majority of the estate fully functional as an addiction rehabilitation clinic, in a dramatic and beautiful countryside setting. In particular, we have renovated and built around the old coach houses which are now an extended care facility; and the old gatehouses which are listed buildings; we have made every effort to preserve the original feel of the estate while incorporating a progressive and modern touch worthy of a leading hospital.
The coat of arms
Every feature on the Coat of Arms has a particular significance to Castle Craig and its purpose.