A fulfilling, rewarding career
When it comes to job satisfaction, we get it right – on a daily basis we see transformations all around us, when people leave addiction behind and regain strength and hope for the future; when family relationships are repaired; when our patients leave us and say thank you. Working at Castle Craig you will not only be playing your part in saving somebody’s life, you will be appreciated and valued while you do it. It doesn’t get much more rewarding than this!
Delivering compassionate care and achieving the best outcomes for people suffering from addictions to alcohol and drugs and mental health conditions, is at the heart of everything we do. All of us at Castle Craig are committed to this purpose. Our staff are friendly, approachable and respectful to each other and to our patients at all times. Each one of our patients has a story, some of them amazing, some heartbreaking, and there’s always a chance to connect and get to meet new people.
A unique working environment
Our work environment is unique. An 18th century estate in the hills of the Scottish Borders, and within commuting distance from Edinburgh and Glasgow, staff have time to wander the woodland estate in their lunch break, visit the gym after work and watch the alpacas on their daily walk. Our campus is spread out so a peaceful walk is often needed to attend meetings between departments.
An employer to be proud of
You will be working at a hospital that was recently rated ‘Exceptional’ by Health Improvement Scotland, and has been described in the Scottish Parliament and on BBC News as “world-renowned”. We are committed to exemplary standards of clinical governance and quality improvement and Castle Craig is highly regarded by medical referrers across the UK and internationally.
We are always looking to connect with people who align closely with our values and who demonstrate passion and leadership qualities. If you think that’s you and you are interested in a career with Castle Craig then please contact us today.
A place to belong
All our staff are warmly welcomed into the ‘Castle Craig Family’ and are given the opportunity to make the most of their skills and experience, and to invest in their continuous professional development to help our patients. Each and every person who works here plays a part in supporting the future growth and success of Castle Craig.
A workplace that takes care of you
A career at Castle Craig offers excellent career development and training opportunities. Perks of working at Castle Craig include free staff open gym sessions, free lunches, free parking, and a chance to work in a stunning countryside location.
We recognise the contribution you give to our service in the following ways:
- A competitive salary in line with NHS salary brackets
- 29 – 34 days annual leave
- Staff training schemes
- Free DBS check
- Free parking
- Free lunch
- Free staff gym use
- Employee referral scheme – receive £250 for referring a contact*.
*new recruit must pass the 6 month ‘probation’ period.
About Castle Craig and our other clinics
Castle Craig was established by Peter and Dr Margaret McCann in 1988 and continues to be family-owned and family-run. Castle Craig has a world-renowned reputation in the treatment for people suffering from addictions. Located in the Scottish Borders, 30 minutes from Edinburgh, Castle Craig has capacity to treat up to 45 patients on both its Foundation and Advanced programmes. The Castle Craig Group owns Smarmore Castle Private Clinic which is situated in County Louth, Ireland. Castle Craig has clinics in the Netherlands and Castle Craig has also recently launched Stockholms beroendeklinik in Sweden.
Treatment at Castle Craig follows the 12-step philosophy to treat alcohol and drug addiction, prescription medications dependency and gambling and gaming addiction as well as co-occurring mental health disorders.
Want to make a difference?
If you are searching for a role where you can help change lives and leave addiction behind, as part of a dynamic team, then Castle Craig is the right place for you.
Look at the section below to see if any current vacancies apply to you or send a speculative CV to us. Also follow us on Linked In where we post our latest vacancies.
Chef (maternity cover)
We are looking for a Chef to join us in a key role helping provide healthy and nutritious food to clients (and staff) at Castle Craig Hospital, in the Scottish Borders.
You will be part of a busy, hard working team cooking and serving great quality food to clients and staff at Castle Craig. This job is covering maternity leave until 30th June 2022.
40hrs per week, working five days, maternity cover
- Preparation and cooking healthy and nutritious meals, therapeutic diets, and staff meals – ensuring a quality product that is attractively presented and meets a strict daily time schedule.
- Support with all events arranged by Castle Craig
- Ensure the correct economic use of materials, equipment, and foodstuffs
- In accordance with current legislation and our food safety policy, ensure correct food handling, storage, temperature, and logging procedures.
- Supervision and direction of catering assistants.
- Ensure the supervision and direction of patients during their therapeutic duties within the catering department.
- Ensure that you are compliant with work and cleaning schedules
- Ordering of food stocks
- Accepting, checking, and signing for goods into the department.
- Development of healthy, varied and nutritious weekly menus in conjunction with the Hospital Manager. Advise management on menus.
- Driving the kitchen van as and when required.
- To work as a team in fulfilling all the key responsibilities of efficient kitchen management.
- Compliance with health and hygiene schedules. To have full understanding of H.A.C.C.P, to ensure all staff adhere to H.A.C.C.P and all documentation is completed and signed by the appropriate members of staff.
- To implement and maintain an agreed deep cleaning schedule for the kitchen.
- Ordering of food stocks, ensuring a competitive price is obtained from local, reputable suppliers for quality products and in accordance with the dietary and nutritional objectives of the hospital.
- To be responsible for all kitchen expenditures.
- Supervision of compliance with cook safe sheets.
- To complete monthly audits for the kitchen, reporting any findings to hospital manager.
- To implement a rota that meets the requirements of the Management and ensures cover of the dining rooms.
- Ensure that you maintain a daily ‘Patients Therapeutic Duty Rota’.
- To assist in the preparation of function menus, for example – for events at the lodges and open days.
- To consult with clients on a regular basis to ensure that their needs and choices are being met; to co-operate with requests from the client group within budgetary restrictions; special diets and responding to cultural preferences.
- Ensuring all equipment is in good working order and bringing any fault to the attention of your manager.
- Liaise with other departments regarding dietary needs of patients.
Please note that this job description is subject to review on a regular basis and may be updated and subject to change.
- Must hold an Elementary Food Hygiene qualification and preferably Intermediate Hygiene qualification.
- Practical experience in all areas of a kitchen.
- Food hygiene knowledge.
- Ability to cater for different diets.
- Ability to effectively work within a high performing team.
An opportunity has arisen for 2 catering assistants within Castle Craig.
The role consists of the following tasks:
- Preparation and support for chefs who cook healthy & nutritious meals that are attractively presented and meets a strict daily time schedule
- To support the running and operation of the kitchen.
- Ensure the correct economic use of materials, equipment and foodstuffs
- Correct food handling, storage temperature and logging procedures.
- Participation with all kitchen work and cleaning schedules.
- Serving of meals to staff and patients, breakfast, lunch and supper.
- Accepting / checking and signing for deliveries
- Driving the kitchen van as and when required. Moving of Thermal Food Boxes.
- Full understanding of HACCP. Ensure staff adhere to HACCP and all documentation is completed
- Implement / participate in and maintain a deep cleaning schedule
- Participate in a working rota over 7 days between 7.30am and 7.30pm
£9.09 per hour
- Company pension
- Meals and refreshments
- Gym membership
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Hospitality: 1 year (preferred)
- Food preparation: 1 year (preferred)
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitisation, disinfection or cleaning procedures in place
Castle Craig is a unique place to work where you will have the support of a strong team and opportunities for professional development. You will be working alongside a brilliant multidisciplinary team of therapists and clinicians, delivering high quality therapy care to people with addictions.
- Degree or Diploma in counselling or Psychology
- Training or experience of 12 step facilitation or CBT
- Certification as a Drug and Alcohol Counsellor with IC&RC or FDAP (or you should be ready to work towards accreditation).
Duties and responsibilities
- Biopsychosocial admissions assessment
- Individualised treatment planning
- Facilitation group and individual therapy and family therapy
- Continuing care teletherapy
- Other forms of therapy and weekend shift rota
- Successful candidates will also be expected to co-ordinate all aspects of therapeutic care for patients including follow up with referral sources.
Further training opportunities are provided. Salary depends on qualifications, experience and salary grade band.
Castle Craig Hospital is a centre of excellence for the treatment of addiction, rated ‘Exceptional’ by our regulators Healthcare Improvement Scotland. We are an abstinence-based, 12 Step programme for addictions and have run a successful therapy programme since 1988. We are located 30 minutes from Edinburgh and 45 minutes from Glasgow, in the beautiful Scottish Borders. We are leaders in the UK and European rehab field, treating up to 80 patients onsite and 50 over teletherapy. We also have clinics and networks in Ireland, London, the Netherlands, Sweden and France.
- Company pension
- Meals and refreshments
- Gym membership
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
- 9am-5pm working day
- Available for telehealth
- Some weekends on rota
Hours of Work: Full time – 37.5 hours per week
Accountable to: The Medical Director / Hospital Manager
Reporting to: The Head Nurse
To be responsible for the assessment of the care needs of patients and the development, implementation, and evaluation of care plans under the direction of the Head Nurse, thereby ensuring that a high standard of care is delivered.
- Maintain current registration as a nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).
- Practice within the framework of the NMC Code of Professional Practice.
- Maintain Continual Professional Development (CPD) and satisfy the NMC’s requirements in relation to Post-registration Education and Practice (PREP).
- Maintain confidentiality as set out in Castle Craig Hospital’s Confidentiality Procedure.
- Ensure that nursing care is delivered in accordance with Castle Craig Hospital’s policies and procedures.
- Be involved in the setting and maintaining of high standards of nursing care and maintain, review, and improve the quality of care.
- Ensure the safety of patients, staff, and visitors through compliance with Health and Safety requirements.
- Carry out risk assessments and prepare risk management plans in compliance with the hospital’s risk management procedures in collaboration with medical staff.
- Report accidents and incidents using the appropriate forms in a comprehensive and timely manner.
- Take charge of the nursing service on a regular basis in the absence of the Head Nurse.
- Promote effective treatment of patients through the safe management and administration of medication including stock auditing and ordering, and the administration of medications being used for detoxification purposes.
- Monitor and observe patients who are undergoing detoxification and promptly report any concerns to the doctor on duty.
- Supervise and direct junior staff in accordance with the hospital’s written policies and procedures.
- Ensure a high standard of communication at nursing shift handovers and ensure that comprehensive notes have been made in the nursing Kardex and on the electronic patient data record (KIPU).
- Carry out the nurse’s role in the admission of patients in compliance with the hospital’s admission procedure.
- Carry out the nurse’s role in discharge of patients in compliance with the hospital’s discharge procedures.
- Participate in and contribute to meetings of the multidisciplinary team.
- Ensure, in relation to the hospital’s confidentiality procedure, that all patient identifiable information is logged securely and cannot be viewed by third parties.
- Ensure that the conduct of staff is always of a high professional standard and report to the Lead Clinical Nurse if there are any concerns.
- Ensure that the care delivered is of a high standard and appropriate to the needs of the patients.
- Participate in the hospital’s supervision arrangements.
- Participate in CPD.
- Participate in the induction of new staff.
- Undertake such other duties as may be deemed necessary from time to time and directed by the Medical Director/Hospital Manager or Head Nurse.
- Health & Safety Officer duties for Castle Craig Hospital
Person Specification – Staff Nurse
- Registered Nurse: RGN/RMN/RN
- Previous working experience within a similar position
- Good interpersonal skills (our patients expect nurses to be caring, friendly, supportive, understanding and compassionate)
- Ability to maintain boundaries
- Experience of working with substance abuse
- Flexible concerning working shift patterns
- Flexible and used to working on own initiative
- Strong team skills
- To be person centred
- Ability to take responsibility for adopting best practice in the implementation of individual care plans
- Commitment to equal opportunities
- Ability and willingness to undergo further appropriate training
- Good oral/written communication skills
- Solid administrative skills
- Awareness of current Health and Safety Procedure
- Demonstrate commitment to the values of the company
- Clean driving licence
- Good computer skills
- Educated to Degree level
Our cleaners are treasured members of our staff team. We believe that cleanliness and attention to detail in cleaning is not only vital for good hygiene but also for client comfort and satisfaction.
Do you want to be part of an energetic team of cleaners who work hard to make Castle Craig the beautiful place it is? If so then join our team of Housekeeping Assistants.
We are located near West Linton in the Scottish Borders around 40 minutes from Edinburgh. The hourly rate of pay is £9.09. Previous experience in cleaning is an advantage, but not essential as full training will be given. Benefits are listed above and include a free lunch and parking.
Bank Nurses – RGN/RMN/RN
If you are a nurse looking for a flexible working arrangement and to be a bank member of a dynamic nursing team then Castle Craig Hospital needs you on our bank nurse list.
We are a world-renowned facility treating people suffering from addictions. We are looking for high quality and skilled individuals to join our existing team of Bank Nurses. We are located near West Linton, in the Scottish Borders, around 35 minutes from Edinburgh.
You will need to be RGN/RMN/RN qualified and hold a current NMC registration.
Hourly rate of pay is £ 15.50.
Health Care Assistants (Bank)
Do you want a flexible working arrangement that is rewarding at the same time? Castle Craig Hospital is looking for experienced and compassionate individuals to join our team of Bank Health Care Assistants, helping people with addictions to get better and on the road to recovery. We are located near West Linton, in the Scottish Borders around 35 minutes from Edinburgh, 15 minutes from Peebles.
The hourly rate of pay is £9.09 per hour plus a 20% shift allowance.
Catering Assistants (Casual / flexi hours)
Are you looking for flexible and rewarding work?
Join us in the Castle Craig kitchen as a casual catering assistant, helping to deliver food to clients and staff. If you want a flexible role then this is ideal for you. We are located near West Linton, in the Scottish Borders around 40 minutes from Edinburgh.
Hourly rate of pay is £9.09.
Speculative Job Applications
We regularly update this page with roles across all our departments – including Medical, Therapeutic, Nursing, Administration, Catering and Domestic, so please make sure you regularly check back here.
If you feel you have the skills we need but don’t see a job advertised, then please email your CV and a cover letter through our online job application form detailing your experience and what you feel you can bring to Castle Craig, and we will get back to you if there is a position coming up.
We’re sorry that we can’t promise we’ll be able to respond to every submission, especially when it relates to positions which aren’t currently advertised.
Apply for a job
You can use our online job application form to send us your CV and to copy and paste a covering letter. Remember to indicate what job you are interested in and explain how you meet the criteria for this role – based on your experience skills and knowledge. Please also take time to explain why you are interested in the role and Castle Craig.
We would be grateful if you could include the following information:
- Current salary / remuneration package.
- Current notice period.
- Details of two referees (please note that the referees will not be contacted until the offer stage, and not without prior consent).
Applying from Europe & Abroad
Many of our staff come from Europe and countries outside the European Union. Successful applicants from overseas will receive a work permit as long as they are English speaking and have at least one grandparent born in the European Union.
Page last reviewed and medically fact-checked | September 13, 2021